Regional Support Officer East Africa - Nairobi Kenya - M/F
Mission location: Nairobi, Kenya
While the consolidation of our medical projects in West and Central Africa remains an important objective, ALIMA has intervened in other countries in the past and wishes to strengthen its presence in other areas where the needs are equally demonstrated.
The East African region is marked by several complex crisis contexts in which medico-humanitarian needs are particularly acute. Countries such as Sudan, Ethiopia and Somalia, among others, are faced with different dynamics that regularly reduce the access of part of the population to medico-nutritional services essential to their survival.
In these contexts, the mode of intervention, the experience and the approach of co-construction of medical solutions with local actors supported by ALIMA can make sense.
In addition, our willingness to share experiences, build alliances with other expertise, other actors, and the necessary reinforcement of our teams with English-speaking medical and humanitarian personnel invite us to launch a process of exploration, partnership and medical response in East Africa.
In a first phase, the objective will be for ALIMA :
- to open a regional liaison platform in Nairobi, Kenya
- to formally register ALIMA at the national level in Kenya, as well as at the regional level with the relevant institutions;
- to initiate technical and strategic contacts with humanitarian medical aid, research, and more broadly health actors with whom an alliance for humanitarian medical interventions would make sense.
- Build links with health human resources, training and research structures.
- conduct an analysis of medico-humanitarian needs in the region (including exploratory missions) and recommend operational priorities for ALIMA's interventions
In terms of results, we expect a significant progress in terms of registration of the NGO in the first 3 months, then an opening of a mission (at least 1) in one of the countries of the region at most 1 year after the beginning of the representation.
- The Regional Support Officer reports to the Regional Manager East Africa.
- She/he works closely with the support services of ALIMA Headquarters (finance, human resources, logistics, communication, development, donors).
- She/he collaborates with the Kenyan authorities and the NGOs and international organizations present at the regional level.
- Support for the establishment and registration of ALIMA for East Africa in Nairobi, Kenya
· Supports the Regional Manager on a daily basis in the administrative steps to establish ALIMA in Kenya, as a regional platform of the NGO.
· Assists in identifying premises for the organization in Nairobi and manages the rental and its follow-up.
· Facilitates and documents contacts with administrations and assists in the procedures to be followed (e.g. labor law, social security contributions, migration, etc.).
· Supports the Regional Officer in the registration of ALIMA at the level of the different regional/international actors in East Africa in order to facilitate ALIMA activity in the region.
2. Administrative and financial management of the Nairobi office :
· Ensures, in compliance with ALIMA procedures, the existence of rules for the management of financial resources and accounting rules as well as exemplary documentation of expenditures (preparation of expenditure commitments, archiving, purchasing procedure, calls for tenders, budget monitoring, follow-up with the relevant Headquarters services in the accounting and finance departments)
· Makes cash flow requests in connection with Headquarters services
· Prepares and monitors the contracts of the service providers necessary for the activity of the office (general services, maintenance, security, etc.) and ensures relations with them.
· Participates in the development of the procurement framework
· Ensures compliance with donor procedures and conditions in all aspects of office management.
3. Development of partnerships :
· Assists the regional manager in the identification of NGO actors with whom ALIMA could develop an operational partnership.
· Ensures the formalization and follow-up of validated partnerships
· In support of the regional manager, prepares the necessary elements for meetings with institutional donors in order to finance the regional operational strategy.
· Actively participates in meetings, events, gatherings, networks/clusters contributing to strengthen the knowledge of the context and humanitarian interventions in the region and to make ALIMA known.
· Participates in the drafting of project proposals and reports, ensuring the quality of the documents and compliance with deadlines.
· Contributes, in support of the Regional Manager, to the drafting of the Regional Sitrep, then sends it once a month.
· Contributes to writing the annual activity report of the platform
· Prepares, for validation by the regional manager, any reports due to donors and partners supporting the regional platform.
5. Logistical preparation of the Missions
· Actively participates in the logistical organization of visits of colleagues and partners to Kenya and the region.
· Prepares the logistical aspects of the ALIMA exploration missions in the countries of the region identified as priorities.
· At least 2 years experience with an NGO in monitoring or coordinating humanitarian programs, at headquarters or in the field, as a reporting officer, administrative or financial coordinator.
· Hold a degree in management, project management, accounting or administration.
· Experience in managing, monitoring and facilitating partnerships is highly recommended.
· Experience in the opening of missions is an asset.
Qualities of the candidate :
· Very good analytical, organizational and planning skills
· Ability to take the initiative in the development and follow-up of institutional and NGO contacts
· Calm, excellent stress management
· Very good communication skills
· Ability to work in relative isolation (at a distance from Headquarters teams) and autonomously
· Strong interest in humanitarian issues
· Good command of English (read, written and spoken) is essential.
· Fluency in French (read, written, spoken) desired
Duration and type of contract: 12-month fixed-term contract
Taking up a position: As soon as possible
Salary: according to experience
Please send before the 21th October 2020 your CV and your Motivation letter.